Compilation problems on Digital OSF1 4.0

От Jan Kim
Тема Compilation problems on Digital OSF1 4.0
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dear PostgreSQLers,

I try to build the new PostgreSQL v6.4 on our Alpha workstations running
OSF/1 4.0 with egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release). The INSTALL
file says there are "minor patchable problems". However, I'm not sure
how to patch this one:

The sources seem to assume that slock_t can be typecast to int. But
OTOH, src/include/os.h says

    #include <sys/mman.h>                   /* for msemaphore */
    typedef msemaphore slock_t;

and our /usr/include/sys/mman.h has:

    typedef struct {
        int msem_state;         /* The semaphore is locked is non-zero. */
        int msem_wanted;        /* Threads are waiting on the semaphore. */
    }msemaphore;

Now, I patched the "offending" line in src/include/os.h to:

    typedef int slock_t;

As a result, I have now managed to get everything through the compiler
(after some other patches which were indeed minor). However, my technical
knowledge about semaphores, test-and-set etc. is limited and at the same
time, it seems to me that fumbling in this area can be disastrous in a
database system, I would appreciate if some knowledgeable person could
comment on this.

Greetinx & thanx in advance, Jan
 |             email: kim@mpiz-koeln.mpg.de                           |
 |             WWW:   http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~kim/              |