Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> >     Except...if I'm understanding even half of this correctly...by
> > implementing CORBA at the FE/BE level, this effectively eliminates the
> > need for *us* to maintain a seperate interface for each language we want
> > to support, since that is what one of CORBA's design goals is...
> >
> >     In fact, again, if I'm understanding this correctly, this could
> > potentially open us up to languages we currently don't support...?
>
> Yea, that would be neat.  But considering no one really totally supports
> CORBA yet, and we already have tons of working interfaces, perhaps we
> can consider it in the future, or were you thinking in the next 6-9
> months?

I think I get it now.  Currently, all the non-C interfaces use libpq to
go over the wire to the backend.  If we made the FE/BE protocol CORBA, we
could modify libpq, and all the current interfaces would still work.
Then if someone came up with a Smalltalk-to-CORBA interface, they could
use it for PostgreSQL.  Also, if someone came up with a better
Perl-to-CORBA interface, we could throw ours away, and just use that
one.
Would nice.  Hope there is no performance penalty.

Pennsylvania19026

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA