aggregate question

От Ulf Mehlig
Тема aggregate question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I posted the questions below a few days ago to the SQL list, but
apparently there is nobody there who can help -- maybe I'm luckier in
this list?  :-)

I need to specify some column functions for statistical analysis,
e.g. standard deviation or variance. After reading the user's guide I
think that's to realize with aggregates, but with those docs only I
cannot figure out how to do it -- does anybody know whether there is a
ready-for-use "statistics" package, or how to write something that's
usable in a SQL statement like this:

          select date, avg(temperature), stddev(temperature)
          from temperatures
          where date between '01.01.1999' and '15.02.1999'
          group by date                                      ?

Other question: I'm used to use DB2/2, and DB2/2 has functions like
"month(some_date)" and "hour(some_timestamp)". Are there equivalents
in postgresql?

Many thanks in advance for help + patience!
Ulf

 %%%%%            Ulf Mehlig              <ulf.mehlig@uni-bremen.de>
   %%%%!%%%       Projekt "MADAM"         <umehlig@uni-bremen.de>
 ---| %%%         MADAM:  MAngrove    |  Center for Tropical Marine
    ||--%!%              Dynamics     |  Biology
    ||                  And           |  Fahrenheitstrasse 1
 _ /||\_/\_            Management     |
/  /    \  \ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        |  28359 Bremen/Germany