Re: [HACKERS] Problem with interfaces/ecpg/lib/Makefile.in in PostgreSQL 6.4.

От Billy G. Allie
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Problem with interfaces/ecpg/lib/Makefile.in in PostgreSQL 6.4.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:22:56 EDT, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 02:29:06PM -0400, Billy G. Allie wrote:
>    [...]
> > These files are not needed since the ecpglib.o and typename.o files will be
> > built correctly for inclusion to the shared libraries because CFLAGS_SL are
> > added to CFLAGS if the systems is one of the systems supporting shared
> > libraries.
>
> I'm afraid that's not true. The .o files are for the static library. The .sho
> files are compiled with -fpic instead so they are better suited for the
> shared library.

If the system is one that supports building shared libraries, then the
variable CFLAGS is modified as follows: CFLAGS += $(CFLAGS_SL).  This occurs
within the IF statement for setting up support for shared libraries for the
particular system.  Therefore, the *.o files are also compiled with the flag
for position independant code (PIC).  This does not affect there use in a
static library, but does make it possible to use them in the dynamic
libraries.  If the system for which postgreSQL is being built is not one of
the systems for which shared library support is included, then the *.o files
are compiled without the flag for PIC support.  So as I said, the *.sho files
not necessary.
--
____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |