Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I strongly disagree. If we wish postgresql to please people, we do not want
> to start out by annoying them with the install. Specifically, some of us
> (I happen to be one), feel that the FHS is important and that packages
> should follow it.
>
> Also, /tmp is a security risk. Why make it harder for someone trying to
> use postgresql, say for a real application involving money or confidential
> information or something, to run a tightly nailed down system.
>
> This item should follow platform convention by default (ie, FHS on Linux
> and other "progressive" systems) but be configurable at install time.

OK, I agree, we should allow locks to be placed wherever people want
them, and the periodic cleaning of /tmp is a good argument.

Perhaps, rather than using OS-specific stuff, we can just test from
configure for various directories that are writeable, and choose the
best one.  That seems nicer to me, and fewer configuration headaches.

I assume this would apply to lock and socket files?  If so, each client
for unix-domain sockets would have to know about the location chosen at
configure time.  That sounds messy.  I am adding this item to the
TODO/Open Items list.