Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Anyhow, in summary, depending on enviornment variables or a hacked linkrer
> that supports 'ld.so.conf' is a bad thing on a real ELF system.  ELF
> provides for compiled in search paths and they should be used.  This
> reduces the additional steps a user must take to have a running system and
> does not violate the POLA.  Since the compile/build process knows where
> the install destination will be, nothing prevents it from doing the right
> thing and using '-R' or '-rpath' ld(1) directives to set the search path.

Just to comment.  If we use -R or -rpath, people need to use that for
_every_ application that uses libpq, etc.  That seems like a pain to me.

B1ecause people have not had problems in the past using ld.so.conf, and I
can see them having problems with -R or -rpath, I would hesistate to
change it, though I can see why some installations would prefer the
-R/-rpath.