Re: [ADMIN] Solaris 2.6 and large tables

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Solaris 2.6 and large tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>     I've been working with some really large tables in Postgres
> ( both 6.2.1 and in preparing to upgrade to 6.3.2 ) running on
> Solaris 2.6 on an Ultra1.  When the amount of data in any one
> table reaches 2Gig, the postgres client connection will just hang.
> Any subsequent connections will hang until the first offending
> process is killed, at which point other connections will complete
> successfully.  Other queries will work unless one tries to access
> the data that was added at the end of the table, at which point
> it will hang until it is killed again.
>
>     I have been able to work around the problem by compiling 6.3.2
> with the Solaris options for using 64bit files.  To make the change,
> I added the flags to the sparc_solaris-gcc template file, and changed
> the couple of occurrences of "fseek" in src/backend/utils/sort/psort.c
> to "fseeko" just incase.  It compiles, all of the regression tests
> do the expected things, and the "table.1" file gets created when the
> table exceeds the 2Gig mark.  Everything appears to be functioning
> fine, and I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with
> similar situations.

Some people have complained that the over 2-gig stuff is broken.  Seems
like it is partially broken.  Shouldn't you be able to run fine without
the 64-bit files option.  Can you submit a patch that would work without
the Solaris hack?  The code was supposed to fix the need for 64-bit
files.  If you have 64-bit files, there is no reason to start a
"table.1".

Either we need to get the "table.1" thing working without 64-bit files,
or we just delete all the "table.1" stuff and let the OS handle it.