S.O.S postgresql installation with REDHAT

От Rahul Sharma
Тема S.O.S postgresql installation with REDHAT
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dear Sir,
I am trying to install POSTGRES with the REDHAT linux on a partitioned
standalone PC ( Pentium MMX ). As far as i understood while installing
linux the POSTGRES is also installed ( Provided it was selected in the
PACKAGES list ).
The problem i am facing is this that , when i try to run

$ psql template1

it gives me message that

Connection to database template1 failed
ConnectDB() failed : Is the postmaster running at localhost at port
'5432'

If i run trhe command
$ createuser

i get the following errors

Connection to database template1 failed
ConnectDB() : failed : Is postmater running at localhost at port 5432
createuser : database access failed

I checked the postmaster with command
$ ps -ax
its running.

My doubts are :

Q-1 Is it due to something related to network configuration ( MY PC is a
standalone ). Why i am having this doubt is because when i run
pg_hba.conf
the error states that domain not found.

Q-2 Or is it because initdb was not run . Does the 'Redhat CD' while
installation runs the initdb also ? i cannot run the regress test as the
there is no such src directory. ?

Q-3 Does the template1 forms only after initdb has been executed ? When
run initdb from the postgres login , it links with the library and it
stops with the error that
mkdir : cannot create directory /var/lib/pgsql : no such file or
directory .

By default after installation of package i found the base/template1
directory under /var/lib/pgsql so i have set PGDATA to /var/lib/pgsql

Please listen to my probs as i am working on my college project and
right
now stuck at this point.

Waitng for the HELP
Regards