Re: [ADMIN] Still having trouble compiling Postgresql

От johnbr@vossnet.co.uk (John Bright)
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Still having trouble compiling Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Oliver,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the recompilation
after this fell over at exactly the same place.
I'm just wondering if this is indeed a Postgres problem.
The function it falls over on and cannot find is readline().
I downloaded version 2.2 of the GNU readline library.
I untarred the library in /tmp, which created readline-2.2 and
subdirectories.
The steps I used to rebuild the GNU readline library were
./configure
make
make install.
these were the instructions recommended in the INSTALL
file with the library.
This builds the libraries libreadline.a and libhistory.a in the
readline-2.2 directory under /tmp. make install is then meant
to copy these files to the correct part of the directory tree to make
them useable under Linux. However, when I checked /usr/lib,
it had copied the latest libreadline.a to /usr/lib/libreadline.old
and the libhistory.a file had not been copied at all.
I also assume it should be copying the header files for the
readline library into /usr/include, so that Postgres will then
pick up the latest versions of the GNU readline library.
So, from where I'm sitting it does kinda look as if the problem
is not really with Postgres, but with Postgres being given the
right libraries and headers for the GNU readline library.
Does this sound plausible ?
Would you or any of your colleagues know about this, and know
whether it is safe for me to do the following :-
cd /usr/include
cp /tmp/readline-2.2/*.h .
cd /usr/lib
cp /tmp/readline-2.2/lib*.a .
Would this then force the GNU readline library to be up-to-date ?
It does seem as if make install is letting me down somewhat.
Alternatively, can I get release 6.4 quickly and easily ?
Regards
John