libpq and PQsetdb()

От Michael Bussmann
Тема libpq and PQsetdb()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

Maybe I have overlooked something, but I think there should be a small line
in migration/6.2.1_to_6.3 file that tells the user he has to recompile and
relink each program that uses libpq.so.

When I upgraded to 6.3 I thought that the interface routines of libpq
didn't change (I know that the protocol has changed, but this should be
nothing the application has to worry about), so I simply replaced libpq.so
and I got _very_ surprised when I couldn't start my binaries any more due
to a missing PQsetdb() function in libpq (it's now defined to
PQsetdbLogin).

(As a quick and dirty solution I made PQsetdb a function again that calls
PQsetdbLogin)

What about adding a version number to the library?  The minor release
number could be used to indicate changes in the protocol, the major number
would _only_ be increased when changes in the interface occur (e.g. other
functions or other/new parameter of the routines), that would break
existing applications.

Just a thought...

Best regards,
MB