Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file

От Andrew Martin
Тема Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>    > I would opt for /var/run to store the pid files and have the name set to
>
>        That would assume that postmaster runs as root, which is not
>    allowed...has to be in /tmp somewhere
>
> No.  Make /var/run writable by some group (e.g., group pidlog) and put
> postgres (and other things like root or daemon or ..., whatever needs
> to log pid files) in that group.
>
> /var/run really is where a pid file should be.  I submitted a patch
> that would do this some time ago.  I'll resend it if there is
> interest.
>
> Cheers,
> Brook

BAD idea as it means one needs to have root access to install PGSQL.
This has always been a strong point that an ordinary user could
install it and play before having to convince system managers
that it should be installed globally.

Andrew

Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin                             University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin@biochem.ucl.ac.uk    (Home) andrew@stagleys.demon.co.uk
Tel:   (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890                    (Home) +44(0)1372 275775

От: Andrew Martin
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file
От: Marc Howard Zuckman
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file