Re: TRUNCATE memory leak with temporary tables?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: TRUNCATE memory leak with temporary tables?
Дата
Re: TRUNCATE memory leak with temporary tables?  ("Nick Muerdter" <stuff@nickm.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain.github@gmail.com> writes:
> I too see growth when text type is used, but not when int or even fixed
> size char(10) is used.
> but then i still do not understand how a col type *text* which is dynamic
> results in mem growth (coz there are no rows inserted, i understand for
> long strings db does work to compress, move them to toast tables etc) but
> these are empty rows.

The text column would cause the table to have an associated toast table [1],
which in turn would have an index.  Both of those would be reallocated as
new files on-disk during TRUNCATE, just like the table proper.

A plausible theory here is that TRUNCATE leaks some storage associated
with an index's relcache entry, but not any for a plain table.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/storage-toast.html