Re: Mail thread references in commits

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Mail thread references in commits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Further, we seem agreed that URLs are what we want to have in the
> commits rather than just the message-ID.

If we're set on doing that, then ...

> The question on the table at the moment seems to be if we want to use
> https://postgr.es/m/ or https://postgresql.org/message-id/ as the
> prefix.  Personally, I don't really care and would prefer we just decide
> something and move on to more interesting technical discussion.  I don't
> really agree with the complaints levied against https://postgr.es/m/,
> but I'm also not particularly bothered by one long line in each commit
> message.

... the shortener isn't really doing anything for us.  You end up with a
line longer than 80 characters with message-IDs generated by either gmail
or the bug report form, for instance these examples from recent commits:

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20161128182113.6527.58926@wrigleys.postgresql.org
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CA+renyUEE29=X01JXdz8_TQvo6n9=2XoEBBRnQ8rkLyr+kjPxQ@mail.gmail.com

And those two sources comprise the majority of references these days.
Even dropping the Discussion: keyword wouldn't get us to lines that don't
wrap.  So we might as well go with the canonical form, which I take to
be https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/<whatever>.

Another convention that apparently needs to be discussed is whether or
not to point at a whole thread, as in this example from yesterday:

Discussion: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1F5EE995@G01JPEXMBYT05/

I'm kind of -1 on that; it's adding 5 characters for not much.

Сообщение: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Сообщение: Re: Mail thread references in commits