Re: Backing up postgresql databases

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Backing up postgresql databases
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Peter Schuller" <peter.schuller@infidyne.com> writes:
> I do have a question though. Contrary to Grant, I can't use a trust policy,
> even on the local machine. As a result, I need to use password
> authentication. However, pg_dumpall seems to generally screw up.

pg_dumpall is very unfriendly to password auth method :-(.  Even if it
worked better, would you really want to keep a password stored in a cron
script?

Consider using IDENT authentication on local TCP connections and having
the dumper connect to 127.0.0.1 instead of via Unix socket.  IDENT is
not real secure for remote connections but I don't see why you shouldn't
trust it for local.

Kerberos auth might be another answer, but I don't know enough about it
to comment intelligently.