Re: Performance monitor

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Performance monitor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> My idea is that they can telnet into the server machine and do remote-X
> with the application.  Just set the DISPLAY variable and it should work.

Remote X pretty well sucks in the real world.  Aside from speed issues
there is the little problem of firewalls filtering out X connections.

If you've got ssh running then you can tunnel the X connection through
the ssh connection, which fixes the firewall problem, but it makes the
speed problem worse.  And getting ssh plus X forwarding working is not
something I want to have to hassle with when my remote database is down.

If you are thinking of telnet-based remote admin then I suggest you get
out your curses man page and do up a curses GUI.  (No smiley... I'd
seriously prefer that to something that depends on remote X.)