Re: test git conversion

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: test git conversion
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> - There are few manufactured commits on branches (not on HEAD):

> $ grep -i cvs2 cvs2svn-tmp/git-dump.dat
> This commit was manufactured by cvs2git to create branch 'REL6_4'.

> So the question is does the code look sane around those points
> and do we need to do something with it.  As cvs2git has seen improvements
> since postgres conversion, perhaps they are ok and we can ignore those.
> Especially since they are only on older branches.

I don't have details in my head anymore, but when we did the server's
git conversion, every one of those "manufactured commits" was a real
problem, ie, it didn't represent the history in a nice way.  I think the
most common cause was adding a file on HEAD and then on a pre-existing
branch, and that the unmodified git conversion then misrepresented the
state of the file at earlier instants in that branch (ie, it was there
when it should not be).  This is a bug/ambiguity in the CVS
representation, there is nothing cvs2git can do about it.  We worked
around it in the server conversion by editing the RCS files ... don't
know whether you guys are feeling sufficiently anal to do likewise.