Re: pgsql: Build src/port files as a library with -fPIC, and use that in li

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Build src/port files as a library with -fPIC, and use that in li
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> Re: Tom Lane 2018-09-27 <E1g5Y8r-0006vs-QA@gemulon.postgresql.org>
>> Build src/port files as a library with -fPIC, and use that in libpq.

> This made the "pqsignal" symbol disappear from libpq5.so:

Oh, interesting.  I'd seen an actual error on prairiedog, but apparently
some other linkers just silently omit the export, if the symbol is in
a .a file rather than .o.

> Is this is a problem for libpq5 users?

I proposed in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/19581.1538077716@sss.pgh.pa.us

that we should remove pqsignal, as well as
pg_utf_mblen
pg_encoding_to_char
pg_char_to_encoding
pg_valid_server_encoding
pg_valid_server_encoding_id

from libpq's exports, on the grounds that (a) nobody should be using
those (they're undocumented as exports), and (b) anybody who is using
them should get them from libpgport/libpgcommon instead.  Thoughts?