Re: Confused by 'timing' results

От A J
Тема Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Дата
Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Список pgsql-admin
OK, thanks Kevin. So to measure just the time take by database server, I guess I need to set the log_min_duration_statement and log_statement parameters in postgresql.conf
log_min_duration_statement output should stay constant for all the different clients across different geographic locations.

From: Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org; A J <s5aly@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tue, August 31, 2010 2:14:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Confused by 'timing' results

A J <s5aly@yahoo.com> wrote:

> time echo '\timing \\select * from  table1 where id = 123;' | psql

> In the above query. the 'timing' will time the database time and
> the 'time' command at the very start will time the complete time
> for the query including network time.

No, the 'timing' will say how long it took to send the query from
psql to the server and get the complete response back from the
server.  The 'time' command will also include the time to start
psql, establish the connection to the database, read from the pipe,
and close the connection to the database.

-Kevin