Re: tsearch CVS and differences to version for 7.3.x

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: tsearch CVS and differences to version for 7.3.x
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk> writes:
> One thing that started worrying me having found what looks like a bug in
> to_tsquery_name from the 7.3-stable version of tsearch v2 is the question of
> bug fixes applied only to the latest [HEAD presumably] branch but not to the
> 7.3 stable branch.

There isn't any 7.3 version of tsearch2, at least not in the community
distribution; and there won't be, because it hasn't been through a beta
test cycle.  The bug you just found is exactly the sort of thing we hope
gets shaken out during beta.

> Unfortunately I haven't managed to find the CVS repository (or cvsweb for it)
> in order to check differences. Are there any?

The community cvsweb is at
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/
I have no idea whether Oleg and Teodor are maintaining a separate one
for their 7.3 tsearch2 back-port.

> However, for me the main concern is whether the 7.3-stable branch has been
> sufficiently tested for release into a production environment

Surely not.  tsearch2 is beta quality at this point, whether you run it
under 7.3 or 7.4.  If you think its 7.3 version is somehow more stable
than the 7.4 version, you are badly mistaken.

But having said that --- you just fixed the only problem you know to
have been biting you, so why not keep running it?  Software does not
magically become more stable when people aren't using it.  You might
as well keep on helping to test tsearch2.