tsearch CVS and differences to version for 7.3.x

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема tsearch CVS and differences to version for 7.3.x
Дата
Список pgsql-general

One thing that started worrying me having found what looks like a bug in
to_tsquery_name from the 7.3-stable version of tsearch v2 is the question of
bug fixes applied only to the latest [HEAD presumably] branch but not to the
7.3 stable branch.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to find the CVS repository (or cvsweb for it)
in order to check differences. Are there any? The web page given in these
mailing lists for tsearch (
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/ ) mentioned getting the
latest v2 from cvs for postgres 7.4 but didn't give me any help finding the
repository. It may be an idea to add something there, I did check against
postgres HEAD but update and diff didn't indicate anything about tsearch2 under
contrib.

However, for me the main concern is whether the 7.3-stable branch has been
sufficiently tested for release into a production environment and as I say part
of that consideration has got to be what problems have been identified and
fixed in HEAD but not in 7.3-stable.

Given this questioning of production quality I'm considering the possibility
switching to tsearch v1 in a production environment having been using v2 if
problems do indeed arise from the use of v2. Is this really as simple as I
think it would be, i.e. loading tsearch, adding the txtidx column and adjusting
the small number of queries embedded in plpgsql functions that fill and query
the tsearch columns? I do seem to recall that tsearch v1 had some issue with
either nulls or empty strings for txtidx type, that could prove painful in any
reversion to it from v2 since it becomes difficult to empty such a column.

--
Nigel J. Andrews