Re: REINDEX not updating partition progress

От Ilya Gladyshev
Тема Re: REINDEX not updating partition progress
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Forgot to update partition_relid in reindex_index in the second patch. Fixed in attachment.

21 июля 2024 г., в 01:49, Ilya Gladyshev <ilya.v.gladyshev@gmail.com> написал(а):

19 июля 2024 г., в 04:17, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> написал(а):

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 11:07:49PM +0100, Ilya Gladyshev wrote:
While working on CIC for partitioned tables [1], I noticed that REINDEX for
partitioned tables is not tracking keeping progress of partitioned tables,
so I'm creating a separate thread for this fix as suggested.

This limitation is not a bug, because we already document that
partitions_total and partitions_done are 0 during a REINDEX.  Compared
to CREATE INDEX, a REINDEX is a bit wilder as it would work on all the
indexes for all the partitions, providing this information makes
sense.

Agreed that this could be better, but what's now on HEAD is not wrong
either.

Thanks for pointing it out, I didn’t notice it. You’re right, this not a bug, but an improvement. Will remove the bits from the documentation as well.

Still it does not do it because we know that the fields are going to
be overwritten pretty quickly anyway, no?  For now, we could just do
without progress_index_partition_done(), I guess, keeping it to the
incrementation of PROGRESS_CREATEIDX_PARTITIONS_DONE.  There's an
argument that this makes the code slightly easier to follow, with less
wrappers around the progress reporting.

The use-case that I thought this would improve is REINDEX CONCURRENT, where data from later stages of the previous partitions would linger for quite a while before it gets to the same stage of the current partition. I don’t think this is of big importance, so I’m ok with making code simpler and leaving it out.

+ int progress_params[3] = {
+ PROGRESS_CREATEIDX_COMMAND,
+ PROGRESS_CREATEIDX_PHASE,
+ PROGRESS_CREATEIDX_PARTITIONS_TOTAL
+ };
+ int64 progress_values[3];
+ Oid heapId = relid;

Rather than having new code blocks, let's use a style consistent with
DefineIndex() where we have the pgstat_progress_update_multi_param(),
with a single {} block.

Fixed.

Adding the counter increment at the end of the loop in
ReindexMultipleInternal() is a good idea.  It considers both the
concurrent and non-concurrent cases.

Another reason to do so is that reindex_relation calls itself recursively, so it'd require some additional mechanism so that it wouldn't increment multiple times per partition.

+   progress_values[2] = list_length(partitions);
+   pgstat_progress_start_command(PROGRESS_COMMAND_CREATE_INDEX, heapId);

Hmm.  Is setting the relid only once for pg_stat_progress_create_index
the best choice there is?  Could it be better to report the partition
OID instead?

Technically, we could do this, but it looks like no other commands do it and currently there’s no API to do it without erasing the rest of progress information.

 Let's remember that indexes may have been attached with
names inconsistent with the partitioned table's index.  It is a bit
confusing to stick to the relid all the partitioned table all the
time, for all the indexes of all the partitions reindexed.

I agree that it’s a bit confusing especially because documentation gives no hints about it. Judging by documentation, I would expect relid and index_relid to correspond to the same table. However, if we say that this field represents the oid of the relation on which the command was invoked, then I think it does make sense. Edited documentation to say that in the new patch.

 Could it
be better to actually introduce an entirely new field to the progress
table?  What I would look for is more information:
1) the partitioned table OID on which the REINDEX runs
2) the partition table being processed
3) the index OID being processed (old and new for concurrent case).

The patch sets 1) to the OID of the partitioned table, lacks 2) and
sets 3) each time an index is rebuilt.

Michael

I like this approach more, but I’m not sure whether adding another field for partition oid is worth it, since we already have index_relid that we can use to join with pg_index to get that. On the other hand, index_relid is missing during regular CREATE INDEX, so this new field could be useful to indicate which table is being indexed in this case. I'm on the fence about this, attached this as a separate patch, if you think it's a good idea.

Thank you for the review!

<v2-0002-partition_relid-column-for-create-index-progress.patch><v2-0001-make-REINDEX-track-partition-progress.patch>

Вложения