Postgresql having trouble serving over 1000 connections

От Greg Reeves
Тема Postgresql having trouble serving over 1000 connections
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi There,

I am new to postgresql and we are thinking of migrating from MS-SQL to
postgresql, but I am having trouble getting postgresql to keep up with the
load.

I am using it to serve about 10000 images/hour (16/sec), so I am making that
many connections to determine which image to serve each time.

It seems to build up a lot of connections and then dissallow non-super
users. My sysadmin has set the connection limit to above 1000.

I am using php 4.3 on red hat 8 and postgresql 7.3.

I explicitly use pg_close at the end of my PHP scripts, but it doesn't seem
to have much impact.

Is there anything I should be doing in a high load situation. I have just
set up postgresql with default settings.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

This e-mail message (and any attachments) may contain information that is
confidential to SportOdds Systems Pty Ltd and it's fully owned subsidiary,
SuperOdds UK Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot print,
retransmit, store, distribute or copy the message or attachments. In such a
case, please notify the sender by return e-mail immediately and erase all
copies of the message and attachments.You should only re-transmit or
distribute this email or attachments if you are authorised to do so.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and  attachments
that do not relate to the official business of SportOdds (and/or SuperOdds)
are neither given nor endorsed by it. SportOdds (and/or SuperOdds) has
implemented anti-virus software, and whilst all care is taken, it is the
recipient's responsibility to ensure that any attachments are scanned  for
viruses prior to use.