Re: OID assistance

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: OID assistance
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg@cranel.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, put a unique index on the contents column.  Better to fail an
>> insert than to get a conflict of LO OIDs.

> Can't do that.  Our app won't handle it.

Actually, I think the lo_import() will fail anyway, whether you like it
or not.  There's a unique index on pg_largeobject.

> This does lead me to 2 questions... first, why is this still an issue and
> not fixed in the backend where OID's are managed?

When you're two major versions behind, you don't have a lot of leeway to
complain about why things are still an issue ;-).  But the short answer
is that making OIDs 8 bytes would permanently break platforms that don't
have int64 support, and be a nontrivial performance hit on those where
int64 is substantially slower than int32.  So I'd say it's a good ways
into the future yet.  Eventually we'll decide we don't care about 32-bit
machines anymore, but not for awhile.