Re: psql possible TODO

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql possible TODO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:34:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> writes:
>>> Silly: You could even do \r xyz and load the buffer with the last line
>>> beginning xyz
>>
>> We've got that: control-R xyz.

> Not quite.  "Beginning" is the difference.

True, but upthread it was suggested that sometimes one might like to
search for critical difference-making strings that were *not* the first
thing in the command ... so somehow I'm not finding a forced line-start
anchor to be a net plus.

> I've been a Unix SA for 16 years now and recalling commands by number is
> still a convenient thing, especially when you have 2 or 3 multi-line
> statements which are 90% the same.

Indeed.  The part of this that I still don't buy is where the easiest
way to distinguish among those statements is an artificial command
number.

Still, it seems we've reduced this to an emacs-vs-vi type argument where
what you're used to is the only thing that counts.  As long as the patch
isn't unduly ugly/invasive and doesn't break any existing usages, I
won't complain about it.