Installation on SLES 9.2

От anita.liste@gmx.de
Тема Installation on SLES 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hey,

i searched the documentation and on the net but what i couldn't find a
documentation how to install PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on SUSE Linux Enterprice
Server 9.2 properly. Could someone tell me where to find it?

What i did until now: The Administrator of the box did donwload a version
from :
http://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/postgresql/postgresql-8.0.3/

I did initdb with locate='C' and encoding='Latin1'. Unfortunatly Pg toold
that 'ä'='ü' which is wrong. But for strange reasons, postgres does the
right thing by doing a group by.
sample:
  create table t1 (id serial, key1 text, key2 text);
  create table t2 as select key1, count(*) as cnt from t1 group by key1;
  alter table t2 add primary key (key1);
  create table t3 as select * from t1 join t2 using (key1) where t2.cnt>1;
  alter table t2 add primary key (id);
  -- the last statement fails

I created another one with
  initdb -D latin1_de_DE --locale=de_DE -E=latin1 -A trust -U postgres -d
  and started this instance on port 5431 (shouldn't matter)
How ever, with this instance some problems occur:
 - the client_encoding is very important and must be set to latin1 otherwise
a join between 2 table goes wrong since postgres still assumes 'ö' and 'ü'
as equal and the sample given above could still fail at the last statement.
 - some insert-statements never finish (ok there is a timelimit configured
which terminates them)

Thx in advance and sorry for my poor english.
Anita