Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Taking into account that quite a few people have repeatedly stated that
> the components in contrib are considered more supported/recommended than
> similar solutions found on gborg or any other external site, I suggest
> we move the projects dbmirror and dblink to gborg. The rserv contrib
> module seems to me to be an early Perl prototype of erserver, nobody is
> working on any more. I suggest we drop that entirely.
>
> Comments/alternatives?

I love the idea, but (there is always a "but," isn't there?)

I agree with the notion that "contrib" be removed from the main
distribution. There is, however, a disconnect between supporting projects
and the main system.

Take a look at the www.postgresql.org web site.  Most people visually
filter out the side bars. I've been looking over effectiveness of paid
advertisements in the various search engines, and the numbers are clear in
that the paid links at the top of the page get the hits while the side
hits get almost completely ignored. What I think this means is that people
looking for projects will simply filter out any reference to gborg.

What would be good, is to bring gborg a little closer to PostgreSQL by
putting a link in the main site menu. Rather than:

"Download - Mirrors - Lists - Users - Developers - Docs - Search"

We could have:

"Download - Docs - Lists - Search - Community - Contrib"

"Download" would be a unified version of the Download/Mirrors links on the
current site.

"Docs" Unchanged
"Lists" Unchanged
"Search" Unchanged
"Community" is a unified Users/Developers page.
"Contrib" is a link to GBorg.