Re: What's the dfifference between pg_start_backup+copy+pg_stop_backup+WAL vs. pg_start_backup+pg_stop_backup+copy+WAL?

От Thorsten Schöning
Тема Re: What's the dfifference between pg_start_backup+copy+pg_stop_backup+WAL vs. pg_start_backup+pg_stop_backup+copy+WAL?
Дата
Ответ на What's the dfifference between pg_start_backup+copy+pg_stop_backup+WAL vs. pg_start_backup+pg_stop_backup+copy+WAL?  (Thorsten Schöning<tschoening@am-soft.de>)
Ответы Re: What's the dfifference between pg_start_backup+copy+pg_stop_backup+WAL vs. pg_start_backup+pg_stop_backup+copy+WAL?  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
Guten Tag Laurenz Albe,
am Freitag, 23. Juli 2021 um 12:41 schrieben Sie:

> The only way to cope with that is to replay
> WAL to a point in time *after* the last data file was backed up.
> But with your proposed backup method, you have no way to determine
> that point in time, so this is not safe at all.

I think your example is bad: If both rows are added in independent
transactions, possibly inconsistent table data simply needs to be
accepted. No backup mechanism will change anything on that, because
the second row might always be inserted "too late".

If both rows are inserted in the same transaction, things depend on
when that got committed: If it's before pg_stop_backup, it's at least
contained in the last WAL and Postgres can recover to that point. If
it's committed after pg_stop_backup, the change is lost regardless how
files have been copied before.

> This is exactly the purpose of pg_stop_backup: it does not only
> archive the WAL segment that completes the backup, but it also adds
> a BACKUP_END record to the WAL stream.

With having pg_start_backup+pg_stop_backup that record is available.

> That ensures that recovery
> cannot stop too early: any attempt to end recovery before reaching
> BACKUP_END will cause a fatal error.

And here's the point: File system snapshots don't have that record at
all, but are considered safe because of the crash safety guarantees
built into Postgres. So as long as the data directory makes somewhat
sense, Postgres obviously is able to start and does some recovering.

That recovering is the only difference: In case of file system
snapshots it recovers beginning from the last CHECKPOINT, as that is
considered safe, and applies additional WALs as available.

With pg_start_backup+copy+pg_stop_backup, the state of the finally
copied data directory is unknown as well. It might be the same
checkpoint when pg_start_backup finished or might be a newer one,
because copying data took so long or whatever. For recovery, Postgres
can only rely on the currently available checkpoint of the data
directory OR what is stored in the backup_label file:

> START WAL LOCATION: 428/40000060 (file 000000010000042800000040)
> CHECKPOINT LOCATION: 428/40000098
> BACKUP METHOD: pg_start_backup
> BACKUP FROM: master
> START TIME: 2021-07-23 08:05:25 CEST
> LABEL: postgres_files_full_on_ext4
> START TIMELINE: 1

So what does it do? From my understanding it starts from the
checkpoint location of the file and recovers using the available WALs.
Because that is the only way to not rely on the state of the copied
data directory too much.

Or does it take a more current checkpoint available in the data
directory into account? From my understanding it can't: The files
declaring that more current checkpoint might have been copied after
all other files have been copied already, but without the data
necessary for the checkpoint in the end. To prevent that, Postgres
starts in the past by using CHECKPOINT LOCATION.

And here's the point again: When it always starts from the checkpoint
stored in backup_label, from a crash safety perspective it doesn't
make any difference if files are copied before or after
pg_stop_backup. The only difference would be that all data during the
copying process itself would need to be considered lost. But that
might easily be acceptable, backups become outdated all the time.

> As soon as BACKUP_END is
> processed, the startup process knows that the database is now
> consistent (and logs a message to that extent).

BACKUP_END will still be processed when copying after pg_stop_backup.

> You can contine
> recovering to any later point in time, but you need not
> (recovery_target = immediate).

Because things depend on the available WALs and not the files in the
data directory. This would still be the case when copying after
pg_stop_backup.

> With your proposed method, you run the danger of stopping recovery too
> early, with the consequence of ending up with a corrupted database.

But BACKUP_END would be available in both cases.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

--
AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH
Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de
Web:    http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Tel:   05151-  9468- 0
Tel:   05151-  9468-55
Fax:   05151-  9468-88
Mobil:  0178-8 9468-04

AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
AG Hannover HRB 221853 - Geschäftsführer: Janine Galonska

Für Rückfragen stehe ich Ihnen sehr gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

Tel: 05151 9468 0
Fax: 05151 9468 88
Mobil:
Webseite: https://www.am-soft.de

AM-Soft IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH i.G. ist ein Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister
fürIT und TK

AM-Soft IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH i.G.
Brandenburger Str. 7c
31789 Hameln
Tel: 05151 9468 0

Bitstore IT-Consulting GmbH
Zentrale - Berlin Lichtenberg
Frankfurter Allee 285
10317 Berlin
Tel: 030 453 087 80

CBS IT-Service - Bitstore Kaulsdorf UG
Tel: 030 453 087 880 1

Büro Dallgow-Döberitz
Tel: 03322 507 020

Büro Kloster Lehnin
Tel: 033207 566 530

PCE IT-Service - Bitstore Darmstadt UG
Darmstadt
Tel: 06151 392 973 0

Büro Neuruppin
Tel: 033932 606 090

ACI EDV Systemhaus - Bitstore Dresden GmbH
Dresden
Tel: 0351 254 410

Das Systemhaus - Bitstore Magdeburg GmbH
Magdeburg
Tel: 0391 636 651 0

Allerdata.IT - Bitstore Wittenberg GmbH
Wittenberg
Tel: 03491 876 735 7

Büro Liebenwalde
Tel: 033054 810 00

HSA - das Büro - Bitstore Altenburg UG
Altenburg
Tel: 0344 784 390 97

Bitstore IT – Consulting GmbH
NL Piesteritz
Piesteritz
Tel: 03491 644 868 6

Solltec IT-Services - Bitstore Braunschweig UG
Braunschweig
Tel: 0531 206 068 0

MF Computer Service - Bitstore Gütersloh GmbH
Gütersloh
Tel: 05245 920 809 3

Firmensitz: AM-Soft IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH i.G. , Brandenburger Str. 7c , 31789 Hameln
Geschäftsführer Janine Galonska