stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM Question)

От Tom Lane
Тема stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM Question)
Дата
Re: stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
>> Also, somebody made a real good point about rolled-back insertions.
>> Even if the only command you ever apply to the table is INSERT, you
>> could still have dead rows in the table if some of those transactions
>> occasionally roll back.

> hmm... That's true.  I don't think autovacuum doesn't anything to account
> for the concept of rolledback inserts.

I think this is the fault of the stats system design.  AFAICT from a
quick look at the code, inserted/updated/deleted tuples are reported
to the collector in the same way regardless of whether the sending
transaction committed or rolled back.  I think this is unquestionably
a bug, at least for autovacuum's purposes --- though it might be OK
for the original intent of the stats system, which was simply to track
activity levels.

Any thoughts about how it ought to work?