Re: How do I alter an existing column and add a foreign key whichis a Primary key to a table?

От Karen Goh
Тема Re: How do I alter an existing column and add a foreign key whichis a Primary key to a table?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 10:12:33 PM GMT+8, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

On 7/21/19 8:53 AM, Karen Goh wrote:

> On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 3:28:10 PM GMT+8, Holger Jakobs
> <holger@jakobs.com> wrote:
>
> Am 21. Juli 2019 02:58:05 MESZ schrieb Karen Goh <karenworld@yahoo.com>:

[snip]

> This looks like a 1:1 relationship which is to be avoided.
>
> One ALTER TABLE command either adds a primary or a foreign key. There is
> no FK without the keyword REFERENCES.
>
> FK relationships help in keeping the data consistent, but they are totally
> unrelated to/useless for SELECT statements and their JOIN operations. This
> is a common misconception.
>
> Hi Holger,
>
> After reading your reply, I am confused now.
>
> Cos without creating foreign key in my tutor_subject how am I going to
> retrieve the zipcode at s_tutor table that meet the list of subject_name
> and tutor_id in tutor_subject ? There should have some reference right ?
> If not, how does the database tell this zipcode belong to which tutor_id ?

The reference is in the SELECT statement, not in the FK definition.

SELECT s_tutor.zip_code
from subject_tutor, s_tutor
where s_tutor.tutor_id = subject_tutor.tutor_id
and subject_tutor.subject_name = 'Angela Merkel';

Hi Ron,

You can't Select s_tutor.zip_code from subject_tutor as zip_code belongs to s_tutor table.

Hence, I wrote my last message about my confusion.