Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a

От pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Тема Re: I just got it: PostgreSQL Application Server -- a
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
OK, perhaps application server is not an appropriate name, but what should
we call it?

Two issues:

(1) We should get this off hackers, but to where?
(2)My vision for this thing is that it is more than just PostgreSQL, it is
PG plus a lot of the popular add-ons and some new ones, sample code, all
with the feel of a "product." At the end of it, you'll be able to identify
the PostgreSQL components, but not the whole.

This is not a slam against the core team. The core team does a great job,
but the is a gulf between products like MSSQL and Oracle and PostgreSQL.
Yea, sure, you can get and use a lot of add-ons for PostgreSQL to do what
these systems can do, but many people can't or won't do that.

The "PostgreSQL Enhanced Server" (How's that name? Maybe we call it Zerver
and use PEZ?) idea is how to take the excellent core of PostgreSQL and
productize it in much the same way distributions take the Linux kernel and
may a GNU/Linux system.