Re: Vacuuming the operating system documentation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Vacuuming the operating system documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 4:41 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So I concur with dropping all this stuff, and while we're at it I'd vote
>> for getting rid of the oom_adj para.  RHEL6 will be fully EOL around the
>> time PG13 comes out, so I don't believe anyone's making brand new installs
>> there either.

> Let's hope PG13 isn't that late -- the end of Extended Lifecycle Support is
> June 30, 2024 for RHEL 6. (It *enters* ELS around the time of pg 13).

ELS basically means that they aren't going to take down the existing
website information about RHEL6 just yet.  I quote from the EOL notice
I got last December:

    This is the one year retirement notice for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
    Maintenance Support 2 (Product Retirement) Phase. This notification
    applies only to those customers subscribed to minor releases for Red
    Hat Enterprise Linux 6.

    In accordance with the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Errata Support Policy,
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 will be retired as of November 30, 2020 and
    enter Extended Life Phase which means users will receive the below
    support.

    ? Limited technical support for existing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
      deployments.
    ? Previously released bug fixes (RHBAs), security errata (RHSAs), and
      product enhancements (RHEAs).
    ? Red Hat Knowledgebase and other content (white papers, reference
      architectures, etc.) found in the Red Hat Customer Portal.
    ? Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 documentation.

There won't be any new bug or security fixes after December; the above is
only saying that existing updates will still be available to download.
(I'm not sure what "limited technical support" really means, but I bet
it involves forking over additional per-incident money.)

From our own perspective, we no longer have the ability to support PG
on RHEL6 anyway.  I see no RHEL6 machines in the buildfarm, and my own
installation is on a disk that's not even connected to anything anymore.
So we might as well stop giving the impression that it's supported.