Re: pg_dump and pg_restore with multiple streams does Not seem to improve overall times

От Scott Whitney
Тема Re: pg_dump and pg_restore with multiple streams does Not seem to improve overall times
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
A few years back, I wrote something very similar to what ended up being in PG, and I've been using it successfully ever since.

I did find there's a law of diminishing returns after about 6 threads running pg_dump.

In my case, I'm on a 6-drive SSD RAID and getting nowhere near the IOPS of the RAID,
but my suspicion is either that I'm maxing my RAID controller's potential or pg_dump just
won't get any faster.

16 cores 3.4GHz in my case.

Now, the interesting thing is that I tried this on spindle arrays, single drives, multiple machines (quad core,
quad proc, dual core, dual core-dual proc, etc) and there always seemed to be a diminishing return around
6 or 8 jobs running.

----- On May 1, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
On May 1, 2015, at 9:16 AM, Susan K. McClure <smcclure@rice.edu> wrote:

> The DB in question is ~25GB.  The processor has 24 Cpus, 12 cores
>
> I have tried with "--jobs = 8, 12, and 20"  with little or no discernible improvements.

I would immediately suspect that you might be disk-bound instead of CPU-bound. What’s the setup of your storage system?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Journyx, Inc.
7600 Burnet Road #300
Austin, TX 78757
www.journyx.com

p 512.834.8888
f 512-834-8858

Do you receive our promotional emails? You can subscribe or unsubscribe to those emails here

Сообщение: Re: pg_dump and pg_restore with multiple streams does Not seem to improve overall times
Сообщение: Re: pg_dump and pg_restore with multiple streams does Not seem to improve overall times