Re: Dyamic updates of NEW with pl/pgsql

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Dyamic updates of NEW with pl/pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/3/13 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>> I think we need some operator on records+strings for this functionality.
>
> I don't see how you're going to do that without utterly compromising the
> type system.
>
> It's not so horrid to do this type of thing in plperl, pltcl etc because
> you've already bought into an "everything is text" worldview when you
> use those languages.  But plpgsql is strongly typed just like SQL is,
> and I don't think we should undo that.

strong typing isn't problem for field updating - and we can do
necessary conversion to target type - for simple expression (without
cached plan).

I like some
var = record[expression];
record[expression] = var;

I don't thing so current static naturel of plpgsql is impossible
problem. It needs just more inteligent assign statement.

Pavel