Re: BUG #5218: Easy strategic feature requests

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: BUG #5218: Easy strategic feature requests
Дата
Re: BUG #5218: Easy strategic feature requests  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs

> Rather than trying to be compatible with MySQL directly, I think we
> might be better off adding a chapter to our documentation explaining
> to ex-MySQL users how to accomplish the same things in PostgreSQL. =C2=A0=
We
> might even think about adding a contrib module with user-defined
> functions like show_databases(), show_tables(), describe(text), so
> that someone could do SELECT describe('foo'); and get a familiar sort
> of output.

I thing so ex-MySQL needs exact DESCRIBE, exact SHOW statement. It is
some, what they used long time and then they missing it.
Hypothetically we could have a "super hook" on server side - or hook
on psql and we can implement these statements in some contrib module.
Personally I don't thing, so this can have any strong effect. If these
modules are not default, then ex-MySQL will have a problem. And if
ex-MySQL people will be happy with SHOW support, then they will be
dissatisfied for PostgreSQL user's rights.

p.s. super hook should be useful not only for mysql's statement

regards
pavel