Re: proposal for 8.4: PL/pgSQL - statement CASE

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal for 8.4: PL/pgSQL - statement CASE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 17/01/2008, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 16:01 +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
> > I found so PL/SQL support CASE statement
> > http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10500_01/appdev.920/a96624/04_struc.htm#484
> >
> > I propose add this statement to PL/pgSQL too.
>
> Please don't post links to potentially copyrighted works.

I am sorry.
correct link http://www.pgsql.cz/index.php/Condition_statements

> We don't want things just because Oracle has them, we want them for a
> real reason. If say, you had a migration project that would be made
> easier by that feature, or there was clear benefit in improving the
> language through the addition of a feature, maybe. If not, we must try
> to do something better than everybody else, not just the same, unless
> its an official standard.

I understand well. But I would to respect similarity with PL/SQL. I
don't see reason for new special language for stored procedures that
is available only on PostgreSQL. And in this case Oracle PL/SQL CASE
statement is implementation of SQL/PSM CASE statement. Still SQL/PSM
isn't main language in PostgreSQL and isn't reason for fixation
plpgsql.

> I'd be interested in hearing about how SQL/PSM is going. What are your
> plans for that?

I prepare rpm and sources for 8.3 available from my archive and from
Devrim repository. There still some unsupported points - PostgreSQL
doesn't support all OOP features and some but not important things
depend on it (but I am not able to implement 100% clean SQL/PSM). And
than I will wait. Queue is full and I see lot of things with  higher
priority than is SQL/PSM. I would to see real stored procedures in
8.4, but I don't belive.

Pavel

> --
>   Simon Riggs
>   2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Сообщение: Re: proposal for 8.4: PL/pgSQL - statement CASE
Сообщение: Re: proposal for 8.4: PL/pgSQL - statement CASE