Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)

От Lee Kindness
Тема Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Guys, too much thought is being spent on this...

1. For the _r functions we "need" we should ALWAYS use them if the
system we are building on has them - they WILL be thread-safe.

2. If the system is missing a _r function then we implement a wrapper
to call the normal non-_r version. However we do NOT make this wrapper
call thread-safe - we assume the non-_r version already is.

Together both steps ensure the code calling the _r function is
readable (just one function signature) and that libpq will be
thread-safe if the system C library is thread-safe. So this will catch
all modern UNIX OSs.

We really don't want to go deeper than this - of we do so we're
wasting time on odd-ball systems that aren't thread-safe anyway - so
for them libpq's thread-safety is of no consequence.

L.