Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit

От Scott Ribe
Тема Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
David's answer is right. Basically every column added gets an index # which is not recycled.

I just want to add that a dump/restore will not bring in the history of deleted columns, thus resetting the column
counterfor the table.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 10:51 AM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:39 AM, nunks <nunks.lol@gmail.com> wrote:
> I reproduced this behavior in PostgreSQL 10.3 with a simple bash loop and a two-column table, one of which is fixed
andthe other is repeatedly dropped and re-created until the 1600 limit is reached.

> To me this is pretty cool, since I can use this limit as leverage to push the developers to the right path, but
shouldPostgres be doing that? It's as if it doesn't decrement some counter when a column is dropped.

> ​This is working as expected.  When dropping a column, or adding a new column that can contain nulls, PostgreSQL does
not,and does not want to, rewrite the physically stored records/table.  Thus it must be capable of accepting records
formedfor prior table versions which means it must keep track of those now-deleted columns.​

> I'm sure that there is more to it that requires reading, and understanding, the source code to comprehend; but that
doesseem to explain why its works the way it does.

От: Wells Oliver
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit
От: Scott Ribe
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-admin] "Soft-hitting" the 1600 column limit