Re: Preserving order through an inner join

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Preserving order through an inner join
Дата
Re: Preserving order through an inner join  (Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>)
Re: Preserving order through an inner join  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Список pgsql-general
Kevin Jardine <kevinjardine@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have a query structured like this:
> SELECT stuff FROM
> (SELECT more stuff FROM
> table1
> ORDER BY field1) AS q1
> INNER JOIN table2 ON ( ... )

> and have found that the INNER JOIN is ignoring the order set for q1.

> The final results are not ordered by field1.

Indeed.  Many of the possible join techniques won't preserve that ordering.

> This works for other databases (eg. MySQL and Sqllite3) but not PostgreSQL.

It might sometimes accidentally fail to fail, but I think you'll find
that there are *no* SQL databases where this is guaranteed to work the
way you expect.  The SQL standard explicitly disavows any particular
output row order unless there is a top-level ORDER BY.  (In fact,
unless things have changed recently an ORDER BY in a sub-select isn't
even legal per spec.)

> I can make some small changes to the query structure as long as it works for the other DBs as well. Moving the ORDER
BYoutside q1 would be a large amount of work, however (these queries are generated by a program), so I am hoping that
thereis a simpler solution.

Nope, that's what you need to do.

От: Kevin Jardine
Сообщение: Re: Preserving order through an inner join
От: Kevin Jardine
Сообщение: Re: Preserving order through an inner join