Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Дата
Список pgsql-general

PE> It's one thing to have warts for allowing the market-leading GUI frontend
PE> for databases (MS Access) to work, but if every, with all due respect,
PE> random client wants to have its own break-the-spec-for-me switch we'll go
PE> mad.

PE> Explain to me why it's so hard to say 0 when you mean 0.

It is not hard.  What is hard is when you change behavior abruptly
between releases without a transition period in which you warn about
an upcoming change when that deprecated feature is used.  Ideally, it
would have logged this error for the 7.3 release, and disallowed it
for 7.4, something akin to the LIMIT transition.

I guess nobody realized how some popular applications used this
non-compliant feature before the change was implemented.  Perhaps we
learn from this experience and don't do this type of change again.
Perhaps not.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Сообщение: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Сообщение: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in