Re: was there a change in FreeBSD SHM implementation from

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: was there a change in FreeBSD SHM implementation from
Дата
Список pgsql-general

CS> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Vivek Khera wrote:
>> Actually performance went down.  Way down.  I disagree with your
>> argument that increasing the cache will help, since the cache is not
>> needed if you don't pushd out your SHM pages in the first place and
>> need to reload them quickly.

CS> Ah, so your entire working data set can fit into your shared memory? In
CS> that case, yes, you are better off not decreasing it. I guess we should
CS> add a note to the FAQ for people using very small databases....

Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.  But I still disagree that
relying on the OS to cache pages that you could (and should) just as
well keep in the SHM segments already makes no sense.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/