Re: partitioning performance tests after recent patches

От Floris Van Nee
Тема Re: partitioning performance tests after recent patches
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your work on run-time pruning!
Here's the output of explain/analyze for HEAD. At run-time, technically all partitions could be pruned directly.
However,one partition remains in the output of explain/analyze because of other difficulties with removing all of them,
ifI remember correctly? Still, that partition is never executed.  The only difference I can see is the Limit node on
top,as well as apparently another  partition appearing in the analyze output (4096_4096, last partition, remains in the
firstplan. 4096_1, the first partition, remains the second plan).

-- select_now.sql
explain(analyze, verbose, buffers on)
select * from :tbl where a='abc' and updated_at between now() and now()+interval '1d';

Append  (cost=0.16..8949.61 rows=4096 width=112) (actual time=0.000..0.000 rows=0 loops=1)
  Subplans Removed: 4095
  ->  Index Scan using p4096_4096_a_updated_at_idx on public.p4096_4096  (cost=0.16..2.18 rows=1 width=112) (never
executed)
        Output: p4096_4096.a, p4096_4096.b, p4096_4096.c, p4096_4096.d, p4096_4096.updated_at
        Index Cond: ((p4096_4096.a = 'abc'::text) AND (p4096_4096.updated_at >= now()) AND (p4096_4096.updated_at <=
(now()+ '1 day'::interval)))
Planning Time: 237.603 ms
Execution Time: 0.475 ms

-- select_now_limit.sql
explain(analyze, verbose, buffers on)
select * from :tbl where a='abc' and updated_at between now() and now()+interval '1d'
order by a, updated_at desc limit 1;

Limit  (cost=645.53..647.56 rows=1 width=112) (actual time=0.002..0.002 rows=0 loops=1)
  Output: p4096_1.a, p4096_1.b, p4096_1.c, p4096_1.d, p4096_1.updated_at
  ->  Append  (cost=645.53..8949.61 rows=4096 width=112) (actual time=0.000..0.000 rows=0 loops=1)
        Subplans Removed: 4095
        ->  Index Scan using p4096_1_a_updated_at_idx on public.p4096_1  (cost=0.57..2.03 rows=1 width=54) (never
executed)
              Output: p4096_1.a, p4096_1.b, p4096_1.c, p4096_1.d, p4096_1.updated_at
              Index Cond: ((p4096_1.a = 'abc'::text) AND (p4096_1.updated_at >= now()) AND (p4096_1.updated_at <=
(now()+ '1 day'::interval)))
Planning Time: 3897.687 ms
Execution Time: 0.491 ms

Regarding the nested loops - thanks for your explanation. I can see this is more complicated than I initially thought.
Itmay be doable to determine if your set of pruned partitions is still valid, but it's more difficult to determine if,
ontop of that, extra partitions must be included due to widening of the range.

-Floris