Re: Multiple databases and shared_buffers

От Rakesh Kumar
Тема Re: Multiple databases and shared_buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
What do you mean that the data is actually not stored in the shared buffer.
From the link you provided :
"The “shared_buffers” configuration parameter determines how much memory
is dedicated to PostgreSQL to use for caching data.
"

This seems to be the same like other RDBMS. Typically the terminology used is Buffer Pool.
BP is used to cache the changes done to a page and the page cleaning
process periodically flushes the dirty pages to disk.
Checkpoints typically gurantees that at a given time a page in cache is same as on the disk and is usually
used as the start time for roll forward recovery.

Does PG follow a different architecture ?