Re: BRIN Usage

От Tom Smith
Тема Re: BRIN Usage
Дата
Список pgsql-general
it is for reducing index size as the table become huge.
sorry for confusion, by timestamp, I meant a time series number, not the sql timestamp type.
I need the unique on the column to ensure no duplicate,   but the btree index is getting
huge so BRIN seems to solve problem but can not ensure unique

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:14 AM, David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 18/02/2016 9:34 am, "Tom Smith" <tomsmith1989sk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I feel it is a stupid question.
>
> Can  BRIN index enforce uniqueness?
> My issue is
> the column I'd like to apply BRIN index  also needs to be unique
> (think of timestamp as primary key).

Only btree supports unique.
Is there a special reason not to use btree? I'm also finding it hard to imagine a case where a timestamp primary key is a good idea.