Re: pgsql/src (Makefile.global.in)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql/src (Makefile.global.in)
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
> The recipe in the Autoconf manual is broken.

Possibly, but the way you were doing it was definitely broken.

> Assume that config.status has been updated to be newer than config.h.
> Chances are that it is also newer than Makefile.global.  (Possibly because
> your last cvs update fetched a new configure.)  Then the make run will
> first execute config.status to update Makefile.global, which will also run
> the extra commands in the second argument of AC_OUTPUT.  Thus, the stamp
> file has been updated without any action taking place on config.h*.

Huh?  There is only one config.status, and it'll update all its output
files whenever it runs.  I don't see the issue.

>> In particular, touching it before creating config.status is guaranteed
>> to lose.

> Exactly why?

Excess runs of config.status.  stamp-h has to be touched after making
config.status, not before.  Also, although this may be a third-order
consideration, I direct your attention to configure's --no-create
option...