Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Sushil Shirodkar wrote:
> After reboot of Linux server this morning, we couldn't reproduce the issue.  Not sure if this will come up
> again, and if it is good news or not,  will monitor and update forum if it reoccurs.
>
> Pl. see the output below which I had captured earlier from  "free -h" before and after
> running of  "vacuumdb".
>
>               total                 used         free          shared     buff/cache   available
> Mem:           3.7G        158M        3.2G         62M        385M             3.3G
> Swap:          3.9G          0B             3.9G
>
>                      total        used           free           shared      buff/cache   available
> Mem:           3.7G        169M        138M        117M        3.4G              3.2G
> Swap:           3.9G          0B            3.9G
>

> Was running the following command when slowness was observed.  The only issue I would see is memory
> getting close to full

That is totally normal.

You can observe that in the second output all the memory is shown as "buff/cache",
that is, it is used for the file system cache rather than remaining unused.
This memory is available, there is no shortage.

This is the normal state for a Linux system with buffered I/O activity.

> after running the following  our application performance would get back to normal.
>
> sync;  echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Now that is surprising.

Sure, after running this command  your memory will show up as "free" again,
but I'd expect performance to get worse because no more files are cached.

Next time you run into trouble, try the following commands:

vmstat 1
iostat -mNx 1

These should show you how your overall CPU, memory and I/O situation is.
Maybe you can find your performance bottleneck that way.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.
Сообщение: Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.