Re: PLV8 yum packages

От Devrim Gündüz
Тема Re: PLV8 yum packages
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi Herry,

On Mon, 2018-02-26 at 11:03 -0800, Jerry Sievert wrote:

> I’m the maintainer of PLV8,

Nice to e-meet you!

> and I’m wondering what it will take to get the postgres yum repositories up
> to date.

Well, see below:

> There are a couple of things that you need to know:
>
> 1) V8 was affected by Spectre/Meltdown, and the version that has the
> remediation is 6.4.388.40

Wow, even Fedora 27 has 6.2.91 :-( (Even more, Fedora rawhide also has the same
version)

EPEL has 3.14 :(

> 2) the version of v8 that the official postgres yum repos use is 3.14, which
> is 5 years out of date, and only compiles against the unsupported 1.4 branch
> of plv8 (current is 2.3.0)

Unfortunately, the packaging policy is to use OS libraries to build or install
the packages. This is why I got stuck.

> 3) the v8 build system no longer supports shared object creation under linux
> (this is a big one), and thus plv8 has moved to a static build by default,
> leaving a make shared for platforms that can still build (I believe they have
> managed to not break the older build system for macOS, but that seems to be
> it)

I think that explains why I cannot build 2.3.0 on my build machines anymore. We
have 2.1.0 at the moment.

So in short: Unless EPEL and Fedora updates v8, we are unlikely to update the
plv8 package :(

Regards,

--
Devrim Gündüz