Re: MySQL Gemini code

От Michael Widenius
Тема Re: MySQL Gemini code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

>>>>> "Nathan" == Nathan Myers <ncm@zembu.com> writes:

Nathan> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:35:58AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> And this press release
>>
>> http://www.nusphere.com/releases/071601.htm
>>
>> also  explains why they had to do it this way.

Nathan> They were always free to fork, but doing it the way they did --
Nathan> violating MySQL AB's license -- they shot the dog.

Yes, we wouldn't have minded a fork as long as they would have done it
under their own name.  Now they are causing a lot of confusion and
giving both MySQL and open source a bad name :(

Of course, PostgreSQL will benefit from this, but I would rather have
seen that we would compete with technology instead of with bad PR :(

Nathan> The lesson?  Ask somebody competent, first, before you bet your
Nathan> company playing license games.

The problem is that this doesn't always help. For example if the other
part is not playing by the rules, but counts on the fact that because
he has more money he will win by the end even if he breaks all the
rules going there.

Regards,
Monty