Re: Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> That would probably be a problem with 4-byte OIDs, there is an ample
> supply of 8-byte ones

Sure, but I think we are still a few years away from being able to
assume that every platform of interest can support 8-byte OIDs (and
furthermore, won't see a significant performance degradation --- keep
in mind that widening Datum to 8 bytes is a change that affects all
datatypes not just Oid).  There's also the Oids-are-in-the-wire-protocol
problem.  In short, that's a long-term solution not a near-term one.

> BTW, don't indexes, triggers or saved plans use OIDs from pg_attribute ?

Nope.  pg_description is the only offender.