Re: [HACKERS] Threads

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Threads
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Duane Currie <dcurrie@sandman.acadiau.ca> writes:
> Would it not be advantageous to use threading in the PostgreSQL backend?

Just so you don't break the code for non-threaded platforms.

I believe mysql *requires* working thread support, which is one reason
it is not so portable as Postgres... we should not give up that advantage.

BTW, I'm not convinced that threading would improve performance very
much within a single backend.  It might be a win as a substitute for
multiple backends, ie, instead of postmaster + N backends you have just
one process with a bunch of threads.  (But on the downside of *that* is
that a backend crash now takes down your postmaster along with
everything else...)