Re: Q: Performance of join vs embedded query for simple queries?

mark@mark.mielke.cc writes:
> I have two simple queries that do what I believe to be the exact same
> thing.

These are actually not equivalent per spec.

> neudb=> select uid, name from sm_change where system_dbid = (select system_dbid from sm_system where uid =
'2ff5942c.dd2911d5.ad56.08:00:09:fd:1b:da')and lower(name) = lower('markm-Q00855572');

> neudb=> select sm_change.uid, sm_change.name from sm_change join sm_system using (system_dbid) where sm_system.uid =
'2ff5942c.dd2911d5.ad56.08:00:09:fd:1b:da'and lower(sm_change.name) = lower('markm-Q00855572');

The subselect form constrains the sub-select to return at most one row
--- you'd have gotten an error if there were more than one sm_system row
with that uid.  The join form does not make this constraint.

Another related form is

neudb=> select uid, name from sm_change where system_dbid IN (select system_dbid from sm_system where uid =
'2ff5942c.dd2911d5.ad56.08:00:09:fd:1b:da')and lower(name) = lower('markm-Q00855572');

This still isn't equivalent to the join: it'll return at most one copy
of any sm_change row, whereas you can get multiple copies of the same
sm_change row from the join, if there were multiple matching sm_system
rows.  (Hm, given the unique index on (system_dbid, uid), I guess that
couldn't actually happen --- but you have to reason about it knowing
that that index is there, it's not obvious from the form of the query.)

Anyway: given the way that the planner works, the IN form and the join
form will probably take comparable amounts of time to plan.  The "=
subselect" form is much more constrained in terms of the number of
alternative implementations we have, so it doesn't surprise me that it
takes less time to plan.

От: mark@mark.mielke.cc
Сообщение: Q: Performance of join vs embedded query for simple queries?
От: mark@mark.mielke.cc
Сообщение: Re: Q: Performance of join vs embedded query for simple queries?